Thursday, May 9, 2013

Pretty amazing...

Here are the X-rays that were taken immediately after my surgery.  I was able to download them from MyChart.

"Caldwells" (posterior-anterior) view
(front view)

You can see the incision line with staples going across the bottom left of the X-ray.  The big circle is the receiver-stimulator part of the implant, which was set into a hole that was drilled into my skull.  The small circle on top is the magnet.   To see what the implant itself looks like and how it works with the external piece, click here.

You can also see the electrode array which was inserted into my inner ear (line coming out of bottom circle).  According to the report, the "right cochlear implant wire lead is seen taking nearly one full turn of the cochlea".   This is a great news!  This means that they were able to fully insert the electrode.  Sometimes the surgeon is not able to get it all the way in (for a variety of reasons, usually related to abnormal anatomy).  If this happens, sometimes the results are not as optimal as they usually have to turn off some electrodes.

"Townes" (anterior-posterior) view
(back view)

Lateral (side) view

I can not believe that I have a magnet and computer embedded in my skull!  By choice!  

Crazy...but pretty cool all at the same time.  Let's just hope it works like it is supposed to when I am "booted up"! :)  

So far, so good!

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I are excited you have chosen to share your journey and we love following your story!

    ReplyDelete