Thursday, April 25, 2013

1 week post op...

It has been exactly one week since the surgery.  Hard to believe.  Time has gone by fast, but slow all at the same time.

I am doing okay overall.  Maybe going a bit crazy because I am not used to sitting around.  It is definitely an adjustment.  Especially since it is spring time, and therefore gardening season!  I am itching to get out there and start separating my perennials!!  Nothing like digging in the soil after a long, cold winter to make you feel productive and lift your spirits.  I have hired 2 talented ladies from Girls in the Garden to get things started until I am allowed to bend and lift.  

The worst issue right now is tinnitus and a feeling of pressure behind my ear.  It is equivalent to a really bad headache localized to the right side of my head.  Which is accompanied by a symphony of ringing, roaring and buzzing that reaches a crescendo, then wanes after a few minutes.  I highly doubt that anyone would want to attend this concert...

It dramatically worsens if I bend over, get up too fast, and/or when my left hearing aid picks up a loud noise.  Therefore, I have been leaving my hearing aid off most of the time and will need to avoid busy, loud environments, at least for now.



DISCLAIMER: If you are queasy about blood or staples etc. do not scroll down or click "Read more".  I have posted a picture of my incision with staples (1 week post op).  It is actually not too bad with minimal blood.  I have included it mainly to document the recovery process, and to help others visualize what their incision might look like 1 week after the surgery.

You can see that there is a bit of a bruise on my cheek in front of my ear.  As instructed, I have been applying polysporin to the incision daily.  That is why my hair is all shiny and gross.  I can't wait to wash my hair after the staples are removed on Monday!!  It looks like it's growing back a bit already.


Incision: One week post op

I can definitely feel the staples pulling on my skin, especially when I turn my head, but otherwise it's not too bad.

My ear is still numb, especially along the top and side.  However, I can feel the sensation coming back.  Apparently it takes 1 or 2 months for this to be restored to normal.

22 more days until activation day .... nothing to do now but wait. 


2 comments:

  1. You are so brave love ,congradulations ,, but I am worried about you and I am sure you looked into it and are positive about this love ya !!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. the bad part is over. when I had mine I had a infection problem with the skin on my right ear. looks like the doctor put yours above your ear. that is where mine is. I have had mine since Feb 16 and of course I am switched on now. I can hear great. Noise is everywhere. I can hear the keys right now as I type. the big problem is voice recognition. words. what people are saying still sounds Chinese a lot of the time. I still have to lip read but in a large room with lots of other noise, like where I work, than I am almost helpless. people are behind me often and I am so scared I don't get what they say. I feel like I am a defender of cochlear implants by all the bad comments and questions I get. people still roll their eyes when I don't hear them and snigger behind my back. oh well, do the best we can. direction of sound is also still a problem. I have one implant and some hearing in my left ear but I have a problem with noise recognition and location at times. good luck to ya. do you have the nucleus 5?

    ReplyDelete