Monday, April 22, 2013

4 days post op...

Well, the last few days have been pretty good.  I have read so many different accounts of how people felt after the surgery, that it was hard to know what to expect.  At worst: extreme nausea and vertigo, bedridden for weeks, and/or complete loss of taste.  At best: back running marathons 1 week post op!

I was anticipating something in between (especially given that I do not really run marathons in peak form anyway!).

As expected, there is lots of pain behind my ear, where the staples are.  As instructed, I took the bandage wrap off the next day, applied polysporin and placed gauze over top.  After 3 days, I was able to leave the area completely open.  The picture below is how I looked after the bandage wrap came off.  It was a relief to take it off, as it was quite tight, and was pulling on the staples.


Day 1 post op

You can still see the arrow on my forehead pointing to my right ear.  We tried everything to get it off, but with minimal luck.  I eventually got most of it off with nail polish remover.

DISCLAIMER: If you are queasy about blood or staples etc. do not click "Read more" or scroll down any further.  I have included a picture of my incision with staples.  It's not too bad with minimal blood.  I have posted it mainly to help those who are curious about how much of their hair might be shaved off and/or how big the scar might be.


I have my hair clipped away from the incision area using a bunch of different clips.  It looks like quite the fancy updo, but not really Downton Abbey worthy! :)  Where is Anna the ladies maid when you need her?


Anna and Mary from "Downton Abbey"

The biggest concern for me has been that the right side of my face closest to my ear and my ear itself feel numb.  My poor ear feels like a giant swollen piece of meat attached to my head.  A rather strange sensation, and quite worrying.  However, I have been reassured that this is very normal.

Below is a picture of the staples day 3 post op.  Not too bad.  Dr. Chen is my hero - he didn't shave off as much hair as he could have!


Incision site.  16 staples.

I hope I didn't gross anyone out.  My cousin Cara's reaction when she saw it?  "It looks like something from the movie Saw!".  I will take that as a compliment - a true battle wound in the fight to restore my hearing.

I discovered the hard way that bending over or turning my head quickly is a BAD idea.  The room immediately spins around and the floor goes out from underneath you.  Plus, a feeling of tremendous pressure in your inner ear, almost like the staples could split apart.

Yesterday, I was able to go out for a walk with my friend Deb, and for a car ride with my Aunt Liz.  I felt pretty good - I just had to move really slow.

It is now Day 4 post op.  I am feeling a bit queasy today, with dizziness even just lying down and/or turning my head slightly.  I am having increased tinnitus, which sounds like roaring, yelling and ringing all at once, especially with any loud noises.  Once in a while, my right eye twitches a little.

If you are interested in what tinnitus sounds like, the American Tinnitus Association has some good examples.   Click on the picture below for a sound clip of what my tinnitus sounds like at the moment.


Click on this picture for an example
Image taken from: http://scottmenchin.com

I normally have tinnitus with increased stress, lack of sleep etc.  But it's much worse now.  I anticipate that this will go away once my cochlear implant is activated.

I think everything is catching up to me, and will try to rest a bit more today.

I will see Dr. Chen (my surgeon) on Monday, April 29th to have the staples out.   Until then, nothing to do but wait....not the easiest task for someone like me!

1 comment:

  1. You are a great writer Jillian. I love your blog.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete